Monday, May 5, 2014

May 5, 2014

Heeeeyyyyyyyyy FAMILY! wow I´m really happy right now. I don´t know why because our pday was really not cool at all. hahaa. we wanted to go to the south and all the missionaries have never been there before except for me and another elder and so we decided to try and plan a trip down there. well. the bus dropped us off on a beach resort with hotels, beaches and pools. how many stores to shop at? one. any paths to take a stroll? the beach. so after an hour of travel, we waited for the next bus to take us back to las palmas. hahahaa. the elders were plotting our deaths! but it was great and the elders joked about it the whole time. I got a little sick on the bus but it was great to say my last good byes to the islands! sniff. plus we passed Telde and it was great! i pointed out all great sites. its pretty small, so we only passed it for like 4 seconds. haha.
Well, other than that, this week went well. We saw witnessed little miracles and were able to experience a lot from the Spirit. We´ve been trying to get some of our investigators to really progress and its been going well. Hermana Caballero kick butt here and we´re a firehouse! haha no worries mom, we get along great. Each companion I´ve had has been great and they´re my sisters and we treat each other as such. We´re very blessed to be serving here in Las Palmas! With 5 transfers in the islands, its PROBABLE that I´ll be leaving and for me it´s super sad; I feel like the islands and the people here are part of my heart. I remember Presidente Sitterud telling us in the MTC that our missions are our holy places and i can definitely understand what he meant by that. Though I might leave, I know that the Lord´s work is the same everywhere and I will be needed in other places, if that is His will. But seriously, my heart is breaking. I really hope i´ll be one of those weird cases and have to stay here 6 transfers. never heard of for an hermana. but definitely heard of for the elders! i hope i´ll be a first!
We´ve been working with the hermanas of a member who just came from Honduras and they´re doing so well. They love to fail lessons but its not surprising with them being 13 and 15 years old! the YW are doing great at befriending them and they feel loved and welcomed there. THAT I am grateful for. The YW group is so strong in this ward. they´re probably the strongest part of the ward.
Yasmina is doing really well and with her 15 yr old daughter preparing to go to EFY, we´re wanting to focus our teaching on her. She´s in for a wonderful suprise! Yasmina is a woman with never ending questions and it´s difficult to teach a solid lesson with her! But she loves coming to church on sundays and her youngest daughter loves coming too. In the future, this family is going to get baptized and they will be so strong in the Church. I can´t wait to see that day!
Alex was confirmed yesterday and right after sacrament, he received the aaronic priesthood. Alex was so prepared. He´s going to be such an amazing leader in the Church. They are truly blessed to have him! Alex has a lot of friends in the church and he told us that the one thing that helped him most to gain a testimony was hearing the testimonies of other people. It reminds me of a scripture in Alma 4:19= ´´And this he did that he himself (Alma) might go forth among his people, or among the people of Nephi, that he might preach the word of God unto them, to stir them up in remembrance of their duty, and that he might pull down, by the word of God, all the pride and craftiness and all the contentions which were among his people, seeing no way that he might reclaim them save it were in bearing down in pure testimony against them.´´ I love this scripture and it has helped me a lot of times in my mission, especially in the beginning. I knew i didn´t have a perfect knowledge of the Gospel or of the scriptures (still dont!), but at least my testimony was sufficient.
In church, we´re getting a lot of investigators from Ghana! We have quite a few and the other elders have a lot (they´re teaching like 10 on a boat!) and the other elders have theirs and his friends. We´ll soon have a branch in english again here! We were talking with Willy Roka yesterday (ward mission leader) and he said that he wouldn´t be surprised if they split Las Palmas this year. I can understand! We can´t fit in the sacrament room now! The work is progressing well here and I´m happy that the Lord is blessing these people here on the islands.
We have a new missionary couple named the Larsons, from Houston and they´re are doing great and they are just so sweet!! The members in las palmas brought them in and they´re so happy to be here. We´re going to see a lot of miracles with them!
I am so grateful for this opportunity that I´ve had to serve both in Telde and in Las Palmas. I´ve been very blessed and I hope, if I do leave, that I´ll be able to bless the lives of others in my next area. I was reading in PME that I needed to leave my area better than the way I found it and I sure hope I did just that! But seriously. my heart will be ripped in half. so dramatic, i know.
well fam! I´ll talk to you on sunday! wow. i can´t believe its time again. welp. i´ll be calling 8 pm my time!! that is....1pm your time. that ok? LOVE YA!
hermana smith

No comments:

Post a Comment