Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spanish, Soccer and Calle de Goya


Hola Familia y Amigos!!
Hey you guys!! 

I speak and sing this Sunday. Wish me luck!! it’s a mix of English and Spanish, but I speak in Spanish and sing in English.

President and Sister Sitterud are from Highland, Utah. My roommate, Hna. Hopkins was neighbors with them. He speaks Spanish and I think she does. They’re awesome. Every Sunday evening, Hna. Sitterud comes in and sings us a goodnight song that she sang to her kids. Its so nice!

My Spanish is coming along great. I can understand about 45% of my teachers and about 10% of regular Spaniards!! Unfortunately, these first 3 weeks have been a lot of refreshers for me. I haven’t really learned anything new except how to stick things in sentences.  We learn Spanish and the gospel at the same time. so for grammar, we learn stuff like progressive tense and speak sentences that we can say to our investigators. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone, as they say it.
I finally sucked it up and started to play soccer. I was scared because I knew I would kick air too many times!! At first, I was in the way. Then I got a little more aggressive!! Apparently, I unknowingly did some awesome soccer moves. My proudest moment was when I saw the ball rolling to me as I stood there at about ½ field and I thought, Ooooh!!! Ball!! Kick!! I gave a huge swift kick! and watched it sail through the air. Time stopped as it soared right into the farthermost corner of the net. I scored!! I stupidly stared at it then everyone was screaming!! In disbelief, I think. Ha, I keep cracking up because I bet my face was PRICELESS!! Mouth open, eyes wide, some drool (haha jk). Whitney Webster would be proud!! I’m the next Beckham!

I know I said don’t send letters or packages…but with it being a small MTC, I’m one of those few lonesome ones with out letters!! Ben, Jason, NOW I know how you felt!! Lo siento, Bros. Don’t hold back you guys!!

Conference was way good!! We’ll hear the last session tonight and I'm way excited to get chastised by Holland. All the missionaries here are looking forward to it! Can you guys copy and paste Russell M. Nelson, Henry B. Eyring, Craig A. Carden, David A Bednar and any other ones you think will be beneficial towards the people of Espana!! Oh and I saw Anthony’s face!! For like 5 minutes. My district thought I was so weird. I was so excited to see a familiar face!! And is Isaac in the choir? I’m not sure if it was his beard I saw at the corner of the screen at one point…

Last Saturday, we went proselyting in Calle de Goya. It. Was. AWESOME!!! I got even more excited for the field!! My last 2 experiences weren’t the greatest and I was determined for this next one to be different. My temporary companion (we get different ones when we proselyte each time) and we came out of the metro and said a heartfelt prayer. We set off and 15 min later-nothing. Then a little bit later-nothing. (haha name that movie!!!). Finally we stopped at a crosswalk and I tried to look at everyone through the Savior’s eyes. I looked at this guy smoking at the corner and thought, I need to go to him. Then I REALLY looked at him: he was over 6ft tall, HUGE, tight black shirt, tatted up, partly shaved head and aviators. I mentally screeched to a stop and thought, HECK to the NO he’s scary!!! We continued to look around us for awhile, but I couldn’t stop looking at the scary guy. I finally told Hna. Hopkins that we should go to him and she said, HIM?!?!?!?!?! We went up to him, with Hna. Hopkins praying hard for our safety. We started talking to him and he was the nicest non-member Spaniard EVER. We asked if he believed in God and he said no. we asked why and he went on in Spanish about his reasonings while I nodded and acted like I understood him. We gave him a BoM  and pointed out Moroni’s promise. I said we are witnesses of this promise and that he will receive an answer if he follows Moroni’s promise. We left him and I looked back and he was flipping through it. 10 min later, after accidentally coming back unknowingly  he was still looking in it!! That was one of my most dearest memories here. I am so glad I was able to recognize a ready soul and that I was able to communicate with him my awesome Spanish skills. Its important to know Spanish, but not as important as giving them that message of hope. I don’t worry about my Spanish, but I do worry that I’ll be able to discern the needs of my investigators and every one else.

I love you guys so much. I’m so glad I have this huge amount of support, no matter where I am. Stay positive and take care!! I’ll work my hardest ever this week. Especially because we’re learning Spanish that’s new to me ;)
Give Griz a hug from me. Is he alright? You better tell me if he’s getting TOO old, if you know what I mean.
Loves y hugs,
Hermana Smith 

1 comment:

  1. when I send a letter this way does is go straight to you Hermana Smith, or does it just sit in a folder until after your mission? Do you have access to a computer on P-day?

    ReplyDelete